Soody is the founder and the principal of the firm. She is a seasoned professional with over 25 years of experience combining law, science, engineering, and business management in start-ups and established environments. Prior to starting her firm, Soody practiced law as IP Counsel at Silicon Valley office of HellerEhrman as well as Townsend and Townsend and in-house at the Hewlett-Packard Company. She was General Counsel and VP of Intellectual Property at a successfully acquired medical device start-up company where she was responsible for all legal matters.
Prior to starting her legal career, Soody spent several years in the industry holding technical and management positions at companies such as Hewlett-Packard and Schering-Plough Corporation. Her extensive and diverse experience enables the counseling of clients on intellectual property and transactional matters in a range of technologies including life sciences, software, medical devices and diagnostics. Based on the range of her experience and having founded several companies of her own, she is well accustomed to challenges facing emerging as well as mature companies.
Soody instructs courses in IP and licensing at the University of California and Stanford University and is a mentor with several entrepreneurship-focused courses/programs at Stanford University. She is a speaker at legal & innovation forums and domestic and international events, and volunteers and donates her services at local non-profit organizations. During her tenure, Soody has worked with companies and government organizations in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia.
Soody also consults in non-legal capacity on select projects with both domestic and international sectors including company assessment and market positioning. She is engaged by European universities to consult and establish technology transfer programs and policies. She is an inventor on patent applications and issued patents. Soody holds a J.D., M.S. in industrial chemistry, and B.S. in chemistry, and is licensed to practice before the State of California and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
In her free time, Soody enjoys cycling and hiking.
Soody is actively involved in various organizations some of which include:
Universities, Training & Development
- Stanford University: Lecturer, Mentor
- University of California (UCSC): Lecturer
- Pozan University, Poland: Lecturer, Technology Transfer Adviser
- Technopreneurship Center, Nanyang University, Singapore: Mentor
- LES Graduate School Business Plan Competition: Mentor
- University of California (UCSF): Mentor
- Silicon Valley in-bound international universities/delegates (e.g., Dongbei University): lecturer
- TechFuture Group (SBDC): Adviser
- C4Cube Accelerator: Adviser and Expert In Residence
- TechLab Innovation Center: Adviser and Strategic Partner
- West Company, Economic development organization serving entrepreneurs and microbusiness owners: Adviser
- Licensing Executives Society, USA & Canada: IP100 Executive Forum, Member; Annual Meeting Planning Committee, Member; Emerging Enterprises Committee, Member
- Licensing Executives Society, Silicon Valley Chapter: Board of Advisers, Member; Past Chapter Chair
- Palo Alto Area Bar Association: Board of Directors, Member; Co-Chair Patent Section
- Silicon Valley Common Ground, bridging industries and legislation: Co-Founder and Co-Chair
- Association for Women in Science (sfAWIS): Member of the Board, Program Chair
- Association for the Sports and Athlete Professionals: Adviser
- Techwadi, Building bridges between Silicon Valley and the MENA region: Mentor
- SFMade, California: Adviser
- Global Innovation Summit, Business Committee: Member
Non-Profit & Philanthropy
- Defy Ventures: Business Plan Judge, Mentor, Coach
- Full Circle Fund: Member
- U.S.-Polish Trade Council: Lecturer, Adviser
- Vinnova (Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems): Adviser
- California Israel Chamber of Commerce (CI-CC): MedTech Committee, Member
- City of Menlo Park, CA: Commissioner, Finance and Audit Committee
- Victorian Government of Australia: Adviser
- Silicon Valley U.S. Export Assistance Center, U.S. Commercial Service, U.S. Department of Commerce: Partner
- Shoebox Ventures: A non-profit helping other non-profits: General Counsel
- Sylk Global, A business & educational consulting firm: Founder
- HighNote Coffee Co.: Board of Directors, Member
- Presque, A consumer healthtech company: Founder & CEO